MathJax

Monday, May 6, 2013

The hard parts

Eagle Scout. Pilot. Black Belt. P90X. NaNoWriMo. Building that app. You can list many more achievements which are often-attempted and seldom-completed. Many goals start out fun but get tiresome after a few weeks. Sometimes we want to be seen as wanting a goal more than we want to achieve it. Often we let short-term excuses derail a future goal.

Tip of the Day: Embrace the Hard Parts.

I knew when I started Power 90 that many, many people quit in-home workout programs. I recognized that in a 90-day workout program, most of the days would be normal, maybe even a little fun. Obviously, then, the days that make people quit are the tough days--the days when you're tired, you're busy, you're already doing something active or you just don't want to.

I looked forward to the tough days.

I looked forward to them because I knew that if I could finish my workout on those days then I would succeed. Sure enough, the hard days came. I was ready. I knew I was more than capable of forming a compelling reason to skip that day's workout. I would consider those reasons after completing that day's workout--meaning I worked out anyway. I completed Power 90 and lost 50 pounds.

Then I completed P90X.

So next time you set a new long-term goal, anticipate and get excited for the hard parts: the hard parts are what get you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment