MathJax

Monday, February 8, 2016

Digital life inside the Great Firewall

My week in Beijing was a week without my smart phone, a week without Facebook, a week without texts, and a week without Gmail; so, in spite of the pollution and the anarchy of their dog-eat-dog rules of the road, my trip to Beijing was very relaxing.

I was able to send email through my work laptop, so I used that to send daily messages to keep my mom from worrying too much.

The Beijing locals seem to be well-connected. WeChat in China seems to be about as pervasive as Facebook here.

While it was comfortable to return to my friends, family, and language, I did not relish the reintroduction of Facebook.

The "welcome home" from my News Feed. I missed you too, America.
My week without social media reminded me of when I took a break from a toxic relationship. That feeling of weight off my shoulders...it clarified everything. The relationship was over. It's not supposed to be that comfortable to be without something that's supposed to be so important. So, Facebook News Feed: I don't need to scroll through you any more. You're not a positive presence in my life. You are a machine that is designed to keep mankind scrolling, clicking, and commenting for as long as possible. You're a time-waster. Freedom is sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment